I just added a translation of the Vercelli Book’s version of “Soul & Body” [called S&B I by Krapp]. The text is slightly different from the Exeter Book version (II), adding about thirty or so lines at the end, and other throughout. Numerous different words are there as well. I tried to carefully collate the two versions and keep them straight. Several errors or skipped words were corrected in the Exeter Book version as well.

Comments

• Great Resource. I have a translation of Caedmon’s Hymn that I did with Jesse Bessinger at NYU in 1970. But four dead with Ohio interrupted the flow a bit and I graduated that year. Don’t know what your parameters are as to style. My translation substantially imitates the sound and the caesura’s of the original. Jesse and I were in a discussion on the translation of h?leg scepen. Jesse insisting on creator. I trying to make something like Holy Masterbuilder (Ibsenish) or Holy Shaper. Both being awkward. This of course led to a whole discussion of what “weard” both means and its world soul aspects of meaning. And of course whether I can in good conscious revert Warden to ward and then use the dependent meaning of ward in the second stanza.
    So for the two reasons state above (sound and caesura) + my resolution of Weard, I offer my 1970 translation.

Now shall we praise heavens greatest ward
    Our makers might and his molding thought
    As a wondrous beginning he, eternal, brought.

He first built for the children men bear
    Heaven as a roof Holy Master Builder
    Then middle earth mankind’s ward
    He, eternal, after adorned its face for men
    Father Almighty.